Thursday, May 29, 2008

Goebbels says he believed in Bush as war started


WASHINGTON (AP) — Former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan says he didn't object to the way the war in Iraq was sold to the American people at the time because he, like other Americans, gave the president the benefit of the doubt.

McClellan says in his new memoir that he came to realize that the war was sold with propaganda that inflated the threat posed by Saddam Hussein. He says administration officials didn't deliberately lie — but they became wrapped up in trying to shape the story to their advantage, and ignored intelligence that didn't fit the picture.


Note- I guess I haven't decided yet whether to use this for the June 6 Mapleton PRESS. Anytime you employ the NAZIs you're being heavy handed, but then again, cartoons are nothing if they're not hyperbolic. But of course, little Scotty McClellen was never as powerful as Josef Goebbels. Most people might think Karl Rove was more like Goebbels. Although Himmler has Roves round face and hairline. Whatever.

Anyway, raving reactionary that I am- I just couldn't let this bit of current events go unreacted to. I wonder what Indiana Jones would've thought of our current administration and the Iraq war. I wonder how many artifacts were lost that could've been in a museum. How could an archaeologist discover lost emails?

OOPS!- The first time I put this together, there was a gross historical inaccuracy in my analogy. Rove would be more like Himmler- mastermind of the Holocaust, whereas Goebbels was in charge of propaganda, more along the lines of a Press Secretary. Shoot- that's what being reactionary gets you, bad aim. My History professors would be ashamed. Sorry Dr. Fiala. Guess I'll try something else this week. Still, you gotta admit that it looks pretty cool!

At least, I hope that you dear readers, appreciate the transparency with which I let you in on my creative process.

Trivia tid-bits- Himmler committed suicide after turning himself over British forces this week in 1945!
Goebbels remained with Hitler till the bitter end where he killed his wife and family before committing suicide in Hitler's bunker. Whereas Scotty McClellen is cashing in an a 7-figure book deal. But at least if we're lucky, it will help get Rove or Cheney prosecuted for something eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment